Somaliland women have a crucial and significant role in economic and social development. Women run small business to cover daily livelihoods of families and as well contribute to national economy as tax payers. However, miss access to additional investment to grow their businesses due lack government strategy and to scarcity for women micro financing institutions. WORDA works towards empowering women economically through self-employment skill trainings, linkage women to microfinance institutions and creating people owned saving institutions known as Self Help Groups (SHGs).
- SHGS – Unleash the potentiality of the poor.
WORDA is a promoting organization for creating people centered poverty reduction approach for social and economy poor empowerment by pooling savings as revolving credit amongst them. Since October 2013 WORDA established and still is handling 81 SHGs who compose above 1200 members. SHG is and effective economic development Model that alleviates the poverty and promotes the mechanisms that empowers the capacity of poor people at rights based approach. The aims of SHGs Approach are to transform the poor as individual and as community who are helplessness to become visible through amplifying their voice and resources for action oriented of realizing their desires and goals. The Process has been designed in different stages.
Stage 1: Individual benefit level self help group: Social and Economic development of members (Individual gain)
Structure of Self Help Groups
SHG consist of 15_20 members, and who are homogenous and come from the same socio-economic background and same neighborhood to enable them to attend their weekly meeting and mentorship capacity building sessions by the community facilitators (CFs) and assigned project officer.
How it functions:
- SHGs have lay down their rules and regulation that bind together to feel ownership which guided by WORDA, developed and agreed on it.
- SHGs have regular weekly meeting with agenda based on information sharing, collection of weekly saving, loan payment and loan (investment) giving purpose, rotational leadership, role of moderator, book writers, regular savings and record keeping, developing loans rules and controls, all members have equal access to loans
- They have proper credit management, sharing concerns and burdens; they have also code of conduct and support of one another in time of needs and problems.
Stage 2: collective gain Cluster level associations: Social, Economic and Political development of groups and community.
Structure of CLA: A CLA is an association of 8 – 10 SHGs located in nearby area (within same geographical area) and working on the things that cannot be done by SHGs themselves effectively.
How it functions:
- Establishing sustainable linkages with different institutions for need based services
- Expressing solidarity and mobilizing collective action on wider social issues
- Support for weaker SHGs
- To some extent Lobbying with local bodies and institutions
- Promoting continuity for the program/ sustainability
- Increased household livelihoods